Monday, March 23, 2009

Life With Multiple Dogs

Common Myths about owning multiple dogs:

1.) Getting a second dog to keep the first one company- If you do not have time for one dog, trust me, you will have even LESS time for him or her with a second dog in the picture. Dogs prefer their human's attention to the attention of other dogs.

2.) When you have more than one already, adding another dog is "no big deal." This is sooo not true. Each dog is a full dog's worth of work, no matter how many you have.

Benefits to owning multiple dogs:

1.) The dogs DO help each other to get more exercise. My crew, at least, all play and wrestle with each other and they do wear each other out. When dogs visit here to play, they always go home tired (-:

2.) The dogs learn social skills from each other. My dogs all "speak dog" very well. This can also be learned by providing regular off-lead play time with other dogs when your single dog is a puppy.

3.) Multiple dogs means there are many more moments of cuteness and laughter. It is a lot of fun watching them play together and seeing their different personalities.

The downside to multiple dogs:

Multiply the cost and energy requirements by the number of dogs you own.

1. ) Work x (insert number of dogs here.)

2.) Training x (insert number of dogs here.)

3.) Cost x (insert number of dogs here.)

4.) Toys Required x (insert number of dogs here.)

5.) Attention Required x (insert dogs here.)


2 comments:

Cori said...

I absolutely love this entry Kelly! Reading about each individual dog is wonderful; especially since I have two relatives! Thank you.

Diane said...

Kelly -

Love the description of all the dogs in the kitchen, as well as the descriptions of the individual personalities.

It reminds me of the days with 4 American Cockers, following me to the bathroom & waiting not-so-patiently at the door, sniffing, scratching & whining until I came out.

As for cleaning the floor, I actually taught them the phrase 'out of the kitchen'. All 4 would line up on a down along the carpet line between the family room & the kitchen & stay while I swept & mopped the floor. (Okay, sometimes their toes touched the floor, but that's all!).

I wish I had a picture of that now... I do miss the days of multiple dogs!

Macy has learned to do a down in the same spot while I clean the kitchen floor, but it's just not the same with the one puppy. Of course if I want her really out of the way I just get the vacuum cleaner out and she heads for the garage & her crate - a safe haven!