Sunday, August 3, 2008

Litter Box Training

I am attempting to litter box train my current puppies. I have tried this in the past and have never been successful as I panic when the puppies start eating the litter and go back to my old, less edible methods for puppy potty areas. I have been convinced to try again, this time introducing the litter before introducing food. So far, so good. The puppies are not using the litter, but they are not eating it either (-: I am hoping as they get older they will be more inclined to use the box and as they will be accustomed to the litter, they will hopefully not think it is food. If this works, I think it will make clean-up easier and allow me to give the puppies more space inside to play. It should also make the transition to housebreaking easier. Wish us luck!
Here is a photo of our current set-up. My plan is to replace the whelping box with the litter box when the puppies are more able to climb in and out. This is the way that other breeders I know have achieved this successfully.




No comments: